What Is Kik Spam?
Like any other online application and website, Kik messenger is also a hot target for spammers. No application is perfect and at some point of time, a Kik user may also face spam. It is annoying to encounter a spam, but with a few precautions, you can minimize the chances of facing one. In this article, we shall explain how to identify a spam and the course to action to follow if a spam is detected. A general problem with spam is that it is tough to recognize and when it is done, it is usually late. In the majority, spam will only cause waste of time or distraction from your usual activities; however, beware because spam can also lead to serious consequences. Our target here is to ensure that you are aware of all the possibilities of spam and the steps to take if a spam is taking over. We shall also focus on various methods Kik spam usually follows.
The company that owns Kik Messenger ensures users’ safety and keeps it a priority always. No data of users is shared anywhere hence you can be assured of your privacy on the web. The company and its team of developers work day and night to make the app spam free. However, there are possibilities where a spam occurs and disrupts your normal Kik activities. Kik Interactive makes all efforts to ensure a smooth and pleasant Kik experience but naturally, they cannot always stop it. This is why you must report a spam as soon as you face it. There are millions of Kik users in the world and obviously, not every profile is genuine. Hence it becomes our responsibility to help Kik Interactive find these spammers and block them.
Way To Recognize Kik Spam
- Pay close attention to the language of the spam. Many times, spam are created from remote locations in the world where English is not the primary language. A typical spam will write in poor English, often with the poor vocabulary, spelling mistakes, and improper grammar.
- An unusually proficient use of English is also doubtful. Pay close attention if the language being used is of very high and sophisticated standards. See if the words and sentence structure is unnatural and unusual. This is again a red marker for a bot.
- Since Kik is used by millions across the world, language is not the sole criteria. Another method to determine a spam is to see the nature of the conversation. It shouldn’t be intrusive, inquisitive, and interrogative. The course of conversation should be easy and smooth.
- See what kind of questions is the other ‘person’ is asking. The questions shouldn’t be about extracting personal information or any detail related to your school, workplace, bank account, family, college, and home. If you find so, beware because it is a spam.
- Many times, the spam generates pre-saved sentences which are posted as messages after a keyword in your message is detected. This is a usual technique of spam because obviously, it is not a real person.
- Spam sends links in its conversation. The links are usually of third party websites and applications. Beware because to access these links, you will have to leave the Kik app, which is not at all recommended.
Course Of Action If Kik Spam Bot Is Detected
Once you have detected that you are talking to a spam bot, you will have to follow a course of action. Many people, in the lack of sufficient knowledge, block the account of the spam though it is not the only way to deal with a spam. Instead of simply blocking, you should report those accounts as spam to Kik Interactive. It will ensure that the company blacklists these accounts and blocks their access to the app, for good. Let us now come to different ways in which you can report an account as spam. You can do it either from your chats or you from your new chats lists. Both methods are quite similar and comprise of few easy steps. In both methods, you shall be asked to include the chat history. It means if you want to include the chat with spam account, you can do so. It is up to you if you want to include it or not. This step shall cause no effect on the reporting and blocking the process. If you decide to include the chat history, you will have to tick the relevant option on your screen.
In this method, you report the spam the current chat. It is better to follow this method if you decide to report spam from the chat itself and without leaving, follow these steps:
- Open the conversation you have been having with the spam account.
- The next step is to tap on “ignore” and either “report and block” or “report”.
- The above options might vary with the mobile device you are using.
- Now, tap on the option “this is a spam bot” and decide if to include the chat history or not.
- Finally, just tap on “report and block”. The Kik spam account is now reported and blocked.
In this method, you report the spam directly from the chats. If you are chatting and realize it has been a spam all this while, it is better to follow this method. If you decide to report Kik spam instantaneously during the chat, follow these steps:
- Tap on the icon in the top right corner of the profile of the spam account you were chatting to.
- Now you will see the spam profile info. Find the icon with three vertical dots, tap on it.
- If you cannot find this icon, look out for it in the right-hand corner in the top of the info screen.
- You will now see different options on the screen, find “report” and then tap on it.
- Again, different options will now be shown. Select “this is a spam bot” now.
- If you want to include the chat history, you can do so or just skip it.
- Finally tap on the report and block icon. The Kik spam account has now been reported and blocked.